Monday, October 16, 2023

About Patterns

Trillium and Queen Anne's Lace
Textile Design by Kidist Paulos Asrat

Textile designers have a wealth of design tradition to draw on. Patterning our designs after our heritage is about pursuing excellence.

Past designs nourish our present ones. Tradition provides a launching board for our own innovations and creations. Tradition is the foundation for the patterns of our thoughts and our ideas. It is ultimately the basis for the patterns of our designs. Thus, I use such guidance and examples to shape my patterns. I look to the past to direct me to the present, with the ardent hope that my designs will in turn positively influence my, and others’, future endeavors.

Well-followed, well-conceived, well-designed. That is the goal of “Well-Patterned.”

Tradition is the basis for the patterns of our thoughts and our ideas. It is ultimately the basis for the patterns of our designs.

Tradition is the basis for the patterns of our thoughts.
Tradition is the basis for the patterns of our ideas.
Tradition is the basis for the patterns ultimately of our designs. 
Tradition, if we follow it with care and intelligence, guides us to the future.