Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Service at Sandford with Kidist Foods


I met today (June 26, 2023) with Sandford International School's Head of School, Mr. Anthony Hamilton, after placing a request to meet him with his administrative assistant a couple of weeks ago.

I said that I wished to discuss with him how Sandford's students can help me with my Kidist Foods project.

Below is the paper I prepared before I went, to make sure that I covered all my points. I read directly from this.

I will be meeting officially, over the next weeks, with a staff memeber, Daphne Innes-Smith, to work on the incorporation of the Kidist Foods Expanded Project into the Sandford International School's curriculum (outlined below, and as discussed with Mr. Hamilton today).

I've emailed these notes to Mr. Hamilton and to Ms. Innes-Smith.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kidist Foods Expanded Project part of [Sandford's] CAS 
- Creativity, Activity, Service 

Under Service

Email and telephone contact with [two senior students]. 

We will meet to discuss their input and involvement in the summer - in July 

After they return from their summer school programs [...]

How can they get involved in the objectives of Kidist Foods [quote from the Kidist Foods website]: 

The Kidist Foods Project is to provide employment to the Addis Ababa urban women with meaningful work, related to their own past experiences as cooks for their homes, families and relatives. 

All Ethiopian women are taught at an early age to cook meals, some for day-to-day consumption, others for important festivities like Christmas and Easter. 

These women can use the skills they already possess to generate income and funds for themselves and their families. 

I am have connected [with], and continue to contact various sources:
 
Banks 
Health and social service agencies 
NGOs 
Professional contacts and colleagues 
Relevant and influential individuals 
Family and friends
 
They can assist with: 

Financial contributions 
Professional contributions 
Professional advice 
Contacts and links

[...]

The Kidist Foods Expanded Food Project:
 
Ongoing, community project 
Start in Addis Ababa 
Expanded into smaller towns, and rural regions