Saturday, June 24, 2023

"...my art is an expression of my concept of nature" - Estifanos Solomon

The artist featured on the walls of Cobuqa (whom I mentioned in my previous post) is Estifanos Solomon.

Here is his twitter page, and his list of paintings at his Fine Art America page.

Estifanos Solomon
[Source - Fine Art America]

About Estifanos (at Fine Art America):

I was born in Addis Ababa Ethiopia in 1995 . Growing up I have always seen myself
in bigger stages telling a story through art that every creature deals with in their
circle of life. Art has always been part of me ever since I can remember it has been
a place I called home. Through finding myself and the desire I have for it Art showed me the world from differ perspective that continued to inspire me with new ideas to develop in art and give back to the community that watched me grow.

I decided to join the Art industry starting from scratch graduating from Teferi Mekonen and Russian cultural centre for primary level knowledge in painting and visual art respectively this in turn contributed for my successful years in Adiss abeba University Ale school of fine art and design school ( ASFAD) which I Graduated 2022/2014,a place that helped me grow my ability to understand a lot in print making after I joined the department. My days in the university not only thought me about print making but also showed me all about visual art.

Here's the painting at the bottom of the three exhibited at at Cobuqa, which is listed on Estifanos' Fine Art America page (painting from Fine Art America):

Beaut
By: Estifanos Solomon
(Painting for sale at Fine Art America, possibly through Cobuqa)

The sheet of paper below the paintings from the Cobuqa exhibit (posted above) is Estifanos' statement on his art and his philosophy of art. I've retyped it below:

Art Statement


Despondency


We seek to escape the dark cave of a despondent mind by either dulling oneself mentally or through imaginative acts. One form of escapism is daydreaming and losing oneself in it can occur very quietly in the world as if it were nothing at all by creating the unnecessary distant in the mind. Well, the distance between us as a society, were respect doesn’t feel like existing anymore I fell like we lost love inside of us yet we pretending its here and the influence of that on the very circle of our family and neighbourhood and country.


Landscape


Nature is both all around us and deep within us. We are inseparable from nature - our bodies, lives and minds depend on the air we breathe and the food we eat. The earth sustains our very life force. Whenever I go out in the fields, in the forests, on the mountains, or along running streams, I feel the combination of trees, mountains and water, I am inspired from my observation of nature and its beauty. When observing the combination of trees, mountains and water, I am inspired from my soul, from the idea or feeling with which I associate during my observation of nature. So I create my landscape work as I understand it intellectually and my art is an expression of my concept of nature. When I choose my composition I sacrifice detail in order to improve the overall effect of the composition. It is the effect of nature that is important and not the descriptive detail of the landscape. I concentrate on the emotional expression or the aesthetic ideas that forms in nature may suggest. I do not feel obliged to represent nature realistically; this gives me the freedom to experiment with form, design and color. 


Estifanos Solomon


I cannot (yet) find the titles (and prices) of the two other paintings that are exhibited at Cobuqa.