Sunday, June 11, 2023

Africa in Kazanchis: And Kidist Foods Expanded Project

[Photo By: KPA]

The owner is a Nigarian woman, Sade - I asked (she has the same name as the famous British Nigerian singer).

It is a small, bright, place, with rustic wooden furniture. It seats maybe ten people.

I had the small chicken - Joloff Rice with Chicken. Enough for two (or three). I took the rest home.

The rice seems to have some tomatoes (paste?), but it was also spicey hot with chili. But there were some other ingredients which were subtle and not overwhelming. 

The chicken was clearly marinated, and also not too dry. 

All in all, delicious.

Here's a recipe of a Nigarian version (it is popular in West Afrcia, but apparently the Kenyans like it too - more on that below):

300 grams Long grain rice
4 Chicken legs
70 grams Gino tomato paste
2 Long red marconi pepper
2 Vine tomatoes
2 Knorr cubes
2 Onion
2 Garlic cloves
1 Scotch bonnet
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Curry powder
1 teaspoon Rosemary
406 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon Chicken seasoning
100 mls Cooking oil
1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper flakes

Other recipes call for cinnamon, which what I think I tasted in the rice, and some cloves in the chicken.


I met a young woman, who was eating the "chapati" pancake like bread. She seemed to know it well. I had met her at another time, when I went in to ask about the menu from the waitress. The girl was sweet, and greeted me.

I remembered her (as did she me), and I asked her if she knew this food. 

She's been to Kenya and had it there. 

She seems like a good contender for my Kidist Foods Expanded Project. I told her so. She seemed pleased. 

We're meeting again next week, same place.

Damakase African Restaurant
in Kazanchis, Addis Ababa
[Photo By: KPA]