Saturday, April 29, 2023

"The Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox church must have got it right"


I had a very interesting conversation recently regarding the Ethiopian Orthodox Tawahedo Church on a twitter post.

Here is what I said:

The Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox church must have got it right - A National Church, which has STILL kept its nation, and its Orthodox followers devout and believing. I think that IS God's way, to keep nations intact, and believers worshiping in their nations, in their own ways.

And the reply:

That's not a very sound argument for Eastern Orthodoxy. The ethnic churches are ghost-towns.

And mine:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. That is certainly not the case in Ethiopia. If you mean the Syrian/Egyptian/etc., then they have been hijacked by Islam. The EOTC fought valiant WARS against Islam, and successfully.

And my final comment: 
  
I should also add 30+ years of vicious Communism. Priests are still praying, at early dawn. Churches are full. Potential for war is still simmering, on RELIGIOUS grounds, - i.e. to get rid of the EOTC [Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church]. 
 
This concludes my input. But I should clarify that what I meant by "potential for war" is the perennial situation of Ethiopian Christianity with forces wishing to eradicate it. I have written of one of the many such forces here. And another, here.