Monday, July 18, 2022

Pink and White Succulents, Robin Visitors, and Summer Breeze

 


















Pink and White Begonia [Photo by KPA]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These pink and white flowers give a slightly tropical feel to the heat-waved Mississauga.

This tiny parkette is right across from the Civic Centre (Celebration Square), and far enough to be a quiet and peaceful respite. The concrete slabs were designed to be "benches," and I often sit beneath one of the birch trees, which are in their full-leaved summer regalia, which provide a gentle flow of a summer's breeze. 

I get visitors (yes people walking/marching/loudly conversing through, and some in their invisible conversations on their gadgets spilling all their secrets loudly for all - me - to hear, and which fortunately are so boring that I just wait for them to finish, or to glimpse my presence and stop).

My favorite, and welcomed, visitors are the birds that find their way on the tree branches, or on the small grass patches which appear to be gourmet heaven (worms, anyone?).

I proclaim my presence to them with my now almost perfect tweets and chirps - American Robins appear the most convinced that I am some giant orange or white headed relative, depending on the straw hat I am wearing that day. Some hop over to get a closer look. Others perch on a nearby tree stump, ready to fly off at any doubt. Most stay the course, then simply hop off, or hop on to the next meal.

Fleur-du-jour in the Parkette:

  • Scientific Name: Begonia semperflorens
    Common Name: Wax Begonia
    Place of Origin: Gradient types (South America)
    Place of Flowering: Garden, Park, Potted flower
    Flowering Season: January-December (outdoor and indoor)
    Language of Flowers: Eternal glory

  • More here.